Willow Pond farm is located in south central Maine. It is a beautiful 35 acre diversified organic farm. Part of our business is maintaining a 12 acre apple orchard. We spend late winter and early spring pruning. Fall brings us to picking, pressing cider, running a market stand, grading apples and fulfilling wholesale apple orders. The other half of the business is running a CSA. We have 6 acres under cultivation in diverse vegetables and cover crops. We also have a ¼ acre in raspberries. Currently we have 90 summer shares and 66 winter shares.
Every winter we look for apprentices to join us for the following season. They are an essential piece to Willow Pond in many ways. We try to use people's talents and interests during the season, optimizing their energy.
The Apprentice Work Season:
- Starting mid April and working through November is ideal for us (although we are flexible)
- Work weeks are usually 5 ½ days long ranging between 8 and 11 hour days
Room and Board:
- We have 2 heated cabins and 2 unheated rooms.
- A fully equipped outdoor community kitchen for breakfast and other meal prep
- There is a lovely composting toilet
- We have community lunches
- There will be some community dinners
- Breakfast, you are on your own-however there is food provided
- Stipend Provided
- Tending to animals (sheep, horses, pigs, turkeys, chickens)
- Seeding and transplanting
- Green house maintenance
- Organization and operation of CSA
- Tractor operation
- Occasional weekend farm sitting
- Some building, carpentry
- Fence repairs (both electric and non-electric)
- Food preservation, jam and cheese making
- Tool maintenance
- Basically, a little of everything. YOU control what you get out of the experience.
- Good work ethic
- Community minded
- Good communication skills
- Ability and desire to do strenuous physical labor
We look forward to meeting you.
For more information please contact us
Apply through the apprenticeship program at www.mofga.org
Willow Pond Farm is the longest operating CSA in Maine. A diversified farm including pigs, sheep, chickens, turkeys, greenhouses, 7 acres of MOFGA certified organic produce all grown for year round CSA community.
We also operate an 8 acre commercial orchard and farm stand September through November. Offering a long term, evolving position that includes production, management, marketing and implementing new ideas.
Experience required. Positive attitude, strong work ethic and ability to work along with an existing vision is also important.
Position available March 2016
Please contact: Jill Agnew e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org